Sinningia speciosa ‘Empress Mix’ is a high quality seed-line produced in Japan and available commercially as pelleted seed. It is a blend of various colors with a similar over-all appearance and size. Seed will bloom within three months from sowing, although the most spectacular flowering will occur during the second growth cycle.
Like all hybrids of S, speciosa this seed-line produces tubers. Growth happens quickly from seed, with the plants flowering well. After first flowering has finished, the plants can be kept in foliage-only growth for a few weeks. Once new growth appears the old leaves and stems can be removed, leaving a single new crown. While the plants can be kept in their original pot during this second cycle, best results will be produced by potting up to a 5″ pot and growing with good light and fertilization.
A variety of colors of this seed-line can be seen in a slideshow by clicking one of the links below:
- Another photo of a red-flowered plant, exhibited at the 2021 virtual show of the Gesneriad Society
- A plant with purple flowers edged in white
- A plant with red flowers edged in white, and a purple-flowered plan
- Flowers with a purple throat fading to a lighter color at the margins
- White flowers with purple spots
- Purple flowers slightly picoteed with a lighter shade